Saturday, September 25, 2010

Baby steps forward

You guys might be wondering as to why there haven't been any updates showing grandiose transformations of entire rooms.  Well, there is a very simple answer to that... there haven't been any grandiose transformations.  I know, I was hoping I'd have something but I have discovered that renovations take time... a lot of it.

Four months ago, when we moved in, I thought that by this time, our bedroom would have been completed months before, our living area would be super-awesome and that the bathroom would have been repainted.

And then reality kicked me in the side of the head.  A full-time job and renovations ... well, they suck.  It's really hard to be motivated to spend an evening sanding, patching and painting after a full day of work.

So we have been reveling in the small victories... painted medallions, finished floors (which I have yet to show you - soon, I promise), ordered furniture etc.

Here is a small corner of the house I quite enjoy, but with still a glaring issue (the missing light fixture). The wall colour is BM Colonial Brick - I love it. Sometimes it looks a little orange-y, other times of the day pinkish and even other times a dark red. Add such dimension to the room.


I decided to do a sconce roundup to see what was out there.  I think I want one that's either horizontally oriented, or that washes the wall with light downwards.  I'm pretty sure I can't afford any of these, but a girl can dream, and, if anything, get inspired.


In order from top to bottom, left to right, they are: I-Club by Burkhard Dammer, Barn Lamp - Gooseneck by DWR, All light closed by Rodolfo Dordoni, Calvino Parkade Sconce by Propellor Design, Nevo Wall Sconce, Cubi Console by Mammini/Candido, Calhoun Glass Sconce from Pottery Barn, Olympia Wall Light by Roberto Favaretto, Logico Triple Wall Lamp by Artemide, Acheo Parete by Artemide, Omega P20 Wall Light by Architects Arter & Citton, Jian by Artemide, PH 2.5-3 Wall Sconce by Louis Poulsen, and the Arne Jacobsen Wall Lamp by Arne Jacobsen.

I love the over-sized glass shades.  Gorgeous.  And I admit, the Nevo Wall Scone (the roses) are completely bizarre, but there is something about them that I really like.  In the right space they could be pretty fantastic.

All in all, for this space, I think my favourites are the Barn Lamp and the Acheo Parete by Artemide.  The profile of the Barn Lamp is great.  It comes in black and white as well, though I really enjoy the red.  And the Acheo Parete is simply wonderful - modern, edgy, textured, but the overall design is really simple.

So, what do you think?

2 comments:

  1. what about any of these? simple, effective, clean. i think you should have the light pointed down, like in an art gallery.

    out of those you posted, i'd take the first one, the elongated wood shelf type thing.

    http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=919972&Ntt=919972&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

    http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=919981&Ntt=919981&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

    http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=979662&Ntt=979662&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

    http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=979661&Ntt=979661&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

    http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=920019&Ntt=920019&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

    http://www.homedepot.ca/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/CatalogSearchResultView?D=914686&Ntt=914686&catalogId=10051&langId=-15&storeId=10051&Dx=mode+matchallpartial&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Ntk=P_PartNumber

    ReplyDelete
  2. I guess those are a little more realistic, probably. But I would really like something horizontal. I really do like the I-club as well. I think it would look good with the wall colour, too.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts with Thumbnails